I am a third-year music student studying Opera Performance, studying abroad in Vienna, Austria for eight weeks.

Monday, March 26, 2012

Tuesday

Well, before I begin, there are two things you should know:

First, that I neglected to share yesterday that I found my favorite dessert. We had it at dinner. It was the most delicious thing I have ever had. Its called Kaisterschmarrn. It is a little bit like bread pudding, but in small pieces, with tiny raisins, and sprinkled with powdered sugar. The pieces of the dessert are dipped in a plum sauce that tops it all off. It was rather expensive, at 8 Euros for a not-huge portion. But, oh, if you could just taste it you would understand. I will definitely be having it more during my stay here.

Second, I have been having my first hard time since I have been here. Worries and insecurities about being so far away from home really got to me last night, and I woke up in the early morning terrified by vivid nightmares. Needless to say, I did not feel very rested today and although I know very well that dreams are just dreams, I still was just a little raw today from the trauma of my night.

9:30 a.m.  Wake up for the second time. Kim and I have a lovely trip down to the Penny Mart to get groceries! We are getting much better at knowing what we like, and we are less timid about trying new things. We really miss mustard though...they don't sell it at the Penny Mart. Also, I am hard-pressed to find cottage cheese. I really have been craving it in the morning, with some fruit preserves, but it seems all they have are yogurts here.

We each some of our groceries for lunch, then head our for class!

1:30 p.m. Class begins, we listen to some more Piazolla, and then the third moment of the Brahms Piano Concerto no 2. It is one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard, one of my all time favorite pieces of music.

Our Independent study is after class, and lasts until 5:30 p.m. Today we worked on Tosca, by Puccini.

6:30 p.m. We are back at home having another night in, a pizza for dinner, and hopefully an early bedtime tonight. Getting ready tonight to go to the train station and get our tickets to Venice!

11:00 p.m. Goodnight!

1 comment:

  1. Love the way you skipped from Sunday to Tuesday and posted on Monday. That's a feat! And that's what anxiety & homesick laden dreams will do to you. Good for you for looking those dreams right in the eye or face or whatever! They happen.

    So now you can look forward to a second Tuesday. Ah, Venice. Love it--and you will, too.

    P,S, Miss seeing you across the "divide" but love knowing you're in those great places hearing great music.

    ReplyDelete