I am a third-year music student studying Opera Performance, studying abroad in Vienna, Austria for eight weeks.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Bruckner and Brahms

10:00 a.m. Kim and I were awoken not by our alarm this morning, but by our friendly cleaning lady. She's pretty noisy, but it's a really good thing, because I think we had snoozed the alarm three times already.

Once Mrs. Clean was gone, we decided to do our opera assignment in bed. We watched the second and third acts of Tosca in our jammies, eating breakfast in bed, and being thoroughly mortified by the tragedy that unfolds.

After Tosca, we showered and dressed, I started reading frantically the rest of our reading assignment for class. Made our lunch, head out!

1:30 p.m. We arrive at class! Today we listened to the finale of Die Walkure, then more of Brahms second piano concerto. I really love the first movement of that today, sometimes German heroism just gets you psyched.

After our larger class, we have our independent meeting with Mr. Dunn, we finished discussing Tosca, and then we start listening to and discussing Bruckner's seventh symphony, which Kim and I will have to present to our larger class. We also find out that we will have to write a response paper to every show we see! Suddenly our work-load is much more intimidating then we thought.

Another new twist, we get to go over to Mr. Dunn's apartment for breakfast, and a class on music! He gives the class to mostly wives of diplomats. We will be studying great performances captured on DVD. It sounds enchanting. :)

After class today, Kim and I go back to the dorms, running into Kamryn and Colin on the tram! Hopefully they will join us for a concert this weekend, Ian Fisher and Ryan will be playing on Sunday! Very excited, it will be the first time I hear them play!

The evening was filled with practice, reading, dinner of soup, and munching on junk food, but most importantly we Skyped with Katherine! So good to see my boo!

We have an early morning, so goodnight!

E

No comments:

Post a Comment